Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My weekend vs. My office


The clash of my crafting weekend and my office..


During our weekly Monday meeting this week, I was met with quite the peculiar situation. We were casually talking about our weekend and when it came to my turn I suddenly was not sure what I should say. After hearing about crazy parties in the city, backpacking and beer with friends, and a weekend in LA, I felt a little awkward saying I had a fabulous weekend being a part of an infant photo shoot, baking some amazing cookies, and crafting as much as I could. All of a sudden these activities felt light years away from anything my office would vaguely understand let alone appreciate.. After pondering for a moment I said that I had a great time up at home visiting my sister and I left it at that. Feeling a bit ashamed for not giving credit my crafts and baked goods, I asked myself why I felt I couldn’t share those things with folks in my office? Well for starters most of them are younger than me by a few years which means their weekends still consist of mass beer consumption, sports, and sleep. That is great and all (I will make the appetizers for the football games) but not really what I am in to. The other side of this conundrum is this “corporate America female” ideal. Let me start off by saying I have bucked this ideal as much as possible (hence the pink décor all over my desk) but I still feel the need to keep my love for domestic activities separate from my work life to an extentsad but true. And that is my quick rant!

But enough about all that boring corporate America crap that I promised not to talk about in this blog, lets get to the good stuff.what I created this weekend~!!

For starters my niece sawyer had her infant photo shoot Saturday (which was too cute for words and “His Grace Photography” is absolutely amazing!) so of course Heather and I had some accessories that we needed to create prior to it. Heather made an adorable headband using silk scrapbooking flowers, felt, and a piece of white t-shirt. It turned out adorable when paired with the pearls in one of the pictures. I was bound and determined (and a little nervous) to create these t-shirt material sandals that I saw on Pinterest (I know, surprise surprise!). Well lucky for me they turned out absolutely adorable and turned out to be pretty easy! I still need to do some perfecting on the “pattern” but I am going to try and make some more in other colors!

Sunday was my baking and crafting relaxation day. I tried a recipe I had found for Snickerdoodle cookies with pumpkin cream cheese frosting. They turned out delicious!! I was also able to make a really cute crocheted knit headband that I love!! I had crocheted once before but I needed a quick refresh so I Googled a crochet tutorial (thank you YouTube) and got to work. Once I figured it out the project went really fast! I taught Heather how to crochet and she was able to create one too. We have so much spare yarn at my parent’s house so it was easy to find a few fun colors to make the headbands in. All my crafts were successful this weekend, which is amazing!




Here is the evidence

Here is the adorable headband (and baby) my sister made! :)

The baby sandals!

Delicious cookies!

The headband!

Another shot of the headband!



2 comments:

  1. First of all.. your blog is so cute! and secondly, I love those baby sandals, I want a pair for avery... and i want that headband, for myself of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamers!! Send me the measurement of Avery's little foot (the circumference in the midde and the length) and I will totally make her a pair!! And i will make you a headband too! :)

    ReplyDelete