Friday, January 4, 2013

Sort-of New Years Resolution

WELCOME TO 2013~!!!

I have a great feeling that this is going to be a really good year!! Last year was filled with so many amazing things and I know this year is going to be the same.

So every year I like to try and make at least one new years resolution (even though I hate the word resolution, I would rather call is a small goal) and this year is going to be including more fruits and vegetables, mainly vegetables in to my diet.

Since I know it will never work for more than a week if I just tell myself "eat more vegetables Danielle" I am trying to come up with some sneaky ways to include more veggies in to this carb lovers diet.

Here are a few of my ideas:

1. Healthy Smoothies: I am a firm believer in smoothies with spinach, kale, etc. so I am determined to try a few new vegetables to throw in there as well as making the conscious effort to make more of them in general. I have the wonderful Vitamix that will basically make anything in to a smoothie so I might as well use it. The one problem I do have with a lot of smoothies is how many calories they have so I will also be looking for low cal versions (which sadly a lot of times means less yummy).

Here is one I found that I am going to try this weekend:
Spinach Smoothie~and only 145 calories!!
2 cups spinach
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup frozen mango (or other fruit)
1/2 small banana


2. Pureeing Vegetables in to soups:I am going to try pureeing some vegetables like carrots or squash and putting them in to soups or stews like chili, bean soup etc. It supposedly acts as a nice thickener and you arent supposed to be able to taste it. I also am going to try a few actual pureed vegetable soups like butternut squash and roasted red pepper.

Here is a link to the Sneaky Chili!

And here is the link for the Butternut Squash & Roasted Red Pepper Soup that I am going to try:

3. Finding new and exciting recipes for vegetable side dishes: Finding different ways and different ingredients to cook with vegetables keeps things interesting and I think will help with keeping up with this "eat more veggies" kick! Here are a couple I found:

Aromatic Roasted Root Vegetables:

Roasted Beet Salad:

Broccoli Slaw with honey mustard yogurt dressing:

4. Trying some recipes from Deceptively Delicious: Last but not least I am going to pull out the book I bought a few years ago that has lots of recipes with ways to hide vegetable purees in different foods. Yes this book is written for how to trick children but hey, with my pickiness of vegetables I might as well be considered a child haha

Deceptively Delicious:

If I find more ideas or any yummy recipes I will be sure to share them!!

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo! I am definitely going to try that green smoothie and the soups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucas's favorite green smoothie is one banana, a large handful of fresh spinach and a little bit of apple juice. It's really yummy!

    ReplyDelete